6.05.2012

Secrets of the Blue Zones

Imagine living a long life without the commonly associated poor health and mental decline. Sounds too good to be true? Well according to my medical nutrition therapy professor and Dan Buettner who is the author of The Blue Zones it's something that is achievable and there are communities throughout the world to prove it!

Sardinia, Italy


Okinawa, Japan


Loma Linda, California


Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica


Ikaria, Greece



Besides being breathtakingly beautiful, these five places have several things in common:

- Healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables, seafood, and nuts. Low on meat, sugar, fat, and processed foods. Essentially, it's the Mediterranean diet
- Daily exercise
- Little stress
- Ample amounts of sleep
- A sense of purpose
- Importance of family
- Spirituality

I don't care so much about the number of years that I live. What matters to me is the quality of my time spent on earth. I never want to be a burden to someone or to live in pain, depression, or immobility. There is no predicting the future and anything can happen but I definitely want to give my best shot at the best life possible. So if this means that I need to eat better, catch a few extra zzz's, and take a deep breath every so often, then so be it.  Are you with me? 

1 comment:

  1. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
    Obcure

    ReplyDelete